Getting a driver’s license in New York City, or anywhere in New York State, is a simple three-step process. Read on to learn how to get drivers license approval with the requirements of each step of the process listed in detail.
- Get Your Driver’s Permit
To apply for a New York State learner’s permit, you must be at least 16 years old. If you’re under 18, your parent or legal guardian must also give their signed consent on form MV-44. There are a few necessary steps that must be completed:
- Get a copy of the New York State Driver’s Manual and study it.
- When you’re ready to submit your application, and take the written test, call the DMV ahead of time to make an appointment. This way, you’ll avoid having to wait too long in line.
- Visit your nearest New York State DMV, bringing with you the proper documentation to prove your identity.
- At the DMV, you will take a vision test and a written test based on the manual you studied; you must pass both of these tests to proceed.
- Pay the necessary fees.
Once this process has been completed, and you have passed your test vision and written test, you will then receive a learner’s permit.
- Take the New York State Pre-licensing Course
All drivers in New York State are required to take a pre-licensing class lasting five hours, such as the one offered by Drive Rite Academy. This course covers four areas of study:
- Driving on highways
- Driving skills and habits
- The emotional components of driving
- The effects and consequences of driving under the influence of intoxicants
People who have already taken a Driver Education Certificate course (MV-285) through their college or school are exempt from this requirement.
2A. Practice Driving
This step is listed as 2A because while not a requirement for getting a driver’s license in New York, it is a recommendation. According to the New York State Driver’s Manual, applicants are advised to gain 50 hours of experience driving, including at least 15 nighttime hours, before returning to the DMV to take their road test.
- Take the Road Test
During the road test, you will drive an examiner around for a short time, following his or her instructions as you execute certain basic driving tasks. If you can’t provide your own car, the DMV will help you acquire use of one for the test. If you pass the road test, you are now eligible to receive your license.
Once you know how to get drivers license approval in New York, you’re that much closer to the freedom of the open road! Contact Drive Rite Academy today to get registered for the next available pre-licensing course!