Get your NY Drivers License!
Have you Gotten Your Permit Yet? If yes, great! (skip this section)
Get your Learners Permit
If not, follow the instructions below: In order to get started with the application for a New York State Learners Permit you must be at least 16 years old. (If younger then 18 years old a parent or legal guardian must sign the consent section of form MV-44)
- Study the New York State Drivers Manual.
- Make an online reservation before you visit the DMV. This will avoid having to wait in long lines.
- Go to your local NY State DMV center with the proper documentation to take the Learners Permit test.
- Bring your Social Security card
- Completely fill out the MV-44 form (Application for Driver License or Non-Driver ID Card)
- Pass a vision test and written test (based on the New York State Drivers Manual)
- Pay Fees
(If you need extra assistance please call our office!) Once you have passed your permit exam you can either schedule to take the 5 hour Pre-licensing class or take behind the wheel classes.
Have you Taken New York State Pre-licensing Class? If yes, great! (skip this section)
Take the 5hr course
If not, follow the instructions below: To prepare yourself for the road test, you need to take the 5 Hour Pre-licensing course, unless you have taken Driver Education Certificate (MV-285) course in your school or college. The class is broken up to 4 different subject areas:
- The Task of Driving within the Highway Transportation System
- Drivers Habits and Skills
- Feelings, Attitudes, and Taking Risks
- Alcohol, Other Drugs and Driving
Ready to Learn How to Drive?
Take behind-the-wheel driving lessons
The New York State Driver’s Manual suggest that you have at least 50 hours of driving practice with 15 hours at night. We understand that this isn’t always possible. However, we recommend you have as much driving practice as possible, to feel confident during the road test. It is also recommend to practice driving in various conditions. Although the road test will be given on streets, it is a good idea to practice driving on highways and heavy traffic areas. Need help choosing a driving school? Click here for our how-to guide on choosing a driving school.
Ready to Take the Road Test?
Take & Pass Road Test
Once you are ready, we can assist you in getting a car and instructor to take you to driving test site. You will need the following the day of the test.
- Pre-licensing Course Certificate (MV-278) or Driver Education Certificate (MV-285)
- Photo Learner Permit
- Contacts or prescription glasses you use to drive with (examiner will check)
- Be early! Be there 30 minutes earlier (examiner can cancel if you are late)
Note: If you are under 18 years old make sure to bring your completed Certification of Supervised Driving (MV-262) form by your parent or legal guardian.
Schedule your driving experience Course?
Take Pass Plus Classes & Highway Lessons
Pass plus or Highway Lessons! It is a comprehensive driver safety course which provides knowledge and techniques for safe and lawful driving. The class covers a wide range of topics including Accident Prevention techniques, Traffic Signs, and the effects of Alcohol and Drugs behind the wheel. Taking the class will:
- Help refresh your driving knowledge with a review of time-tested safe driving tips and an overview of today’s vehicle and traffic laws.
- You may be eligible to reduce as many as four (4) points on your driving record. The DMV computer will automatically note your eligibility to receive the reduction.
- If you are the principal operator of a motor vehicle, you will receive a minimum 10% reduction in the base rate of your automobile and motorcycle liability and collision insurance premiums each year for three years.
Skills for the Road
Why DriveRite Academy
Certified by the State of New York
Schedule Instructors at Your Convenience
Built in scheduling and resourecs
Advanced In-Car Training
Get on the Road to Safe Driving
Personalized Driving Instruction
Custom Driving Experiences
Convenience Drive Sites
Locally Owned and Operated
Our Driving School Locations
145 Kenilworth Place Unit 1B, Brooklyn, New York, United States 11210
594 Dean Street # 1, Brooklyn, New York, United States 11238
38 W 32 Street, Floor 11, Suite 1104, New York, New York, US 10001